Ads Top

Storm damage repairs continuing

Source BBC News@

A contractor works on clearing the debri The storm brought travel disruption to Monday's morning rush hour

Engineers have been working through the night to restore power to 166,000 homes which were still without power on Monday night after a storm hit Britain.

The Energy Networks Association, which represents power companies across the UK, said it would have an update later.

Most rail companies say services should be back to normal on Tuesday.

Four people are known to have have died in the storm which brought major rail and road disruption to commuters in southern Britain on Monday.

Bethany Freeman, 17, suffered fatal injuries when a tree came down on the caravan she was sleeping in in Hever, near Edenbridge, Kent, at about 07:20 GMT.

Donal Drohan, 51, from Harrow, was pronounced dead at the scene after a tree crushed a red Peugeot 307 at Lower High Street in Watford, Hertfordshire, at 6:50 GMT.

Bethany FreemanBethany Freeman was staying in a caravan next to her family home

And a man and woman died in west London following a suspected gas explosion after a tree fell during high winds in Hounslow.

The storm, which began on Sunday night and saw heavy rain fall across many areas and wind speeds of more than 70mph (112 km/h), resulted in 625,000 homes losing power.

Although most had their supplies restored during Monday, the Energy Networks Association said 166,000 homes were still without power at 17:00 GMT.

BBC News correspondent Duncan Kennedy, reporting from Berkshire, said engineers had had trouble reaching some of the more remote areas in southern England because of fallen trees and it could be a few days before power supplies were restored to all locations.

Network Rail said the damage to infrastructure had been "worse than expected", with more than 100 trees on lines.

Train operators - who cancelled hundreds of services because of the bad weather - are expected to resume normal services on Tuesday but some travel disruption remains:

  • Greater Anglia has outlined a number of service alterations

  • Stansted Express services remain suspended

  • First Capital Connect said it expects to run a full service from 0600 but emergency engineering work will be carried right up until the start of the service on the Thameslink route and on overhead power lines at Hatfield and New Southgate so affected passengers should check before they travel

  • C2C said a near-normal service will resume but buses will be replacing trains from Barking to Grays via Rainham

  • East Coast trains said a near-normal service will resume

  • Southeastern is expecting to operate a normal service on all routes but says there may be some cancellations so passengers should check before setting out

  • Chiltern Railways is running a normal service but says there may be some delays and short-notice cancellations

Travel news: Choose an area

Ferry crossings and flights were also affected as the storm moved across the UK.

The Environment Agency had dozens of flood warnings in place on Monday - in areas of south-west England, East Anglia and the Midlands where flooding was expected - but now only five remain in place.

BBC weather forecasters said in more populous areas including Lyneham, near Swindon; Yeovilton in Somerset and Hurn, near Bournemouth, speeds of 74-75mph (119-121km/h) had been recorded.

The strongest gust of 99mph during the storm was recorded at Needles Old Battery, Isle of Wight, at 05:00 GMT.

Wind speeds of 115mph were recorded during the so-called Great Storm of October 1987.

Four people died as the storm swept through France, Germany and the Netherlands after it moved out of the UK shortly after 12:00 GMT.

The search for the 14-year-old boy - who has been named as Dylan Alkins - who was swept away in Newhaven, East Sussex on Sunday is continuing.

Police at scene of suspected gas explosion in Hounslow, west LondonThree houses collapsed and two others were damaged in a suspected gas explosion in west London

Crushed static caravan in Hever near EdenbridgeBethany Freeman suffered fatal injuries when a tree crushed the caravan she was sleeping in

Passengers wait on concourse at King's Cross station after train services were cancelledPassengers waited on the concourse at King's Cross station after train services were cancelled

Workers have cleared the track at Alton in Hampshire, as this picture tweeted by South West Trains showsWorkers have cleared the track at Alton in Hampshire, as this picture tweeted by South West Trains shows

Debris of fallen trees in Hounslow, west LondonHundreds of trees fell across the country

Đăng ký: Tieng Anh Vui

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.